Long Preston Heritage group is working with Alison Armstrong,
a Vernacular Buildings Specialist, to interpret these results.

On Thursday 23 January 2014, she and Tom Lord of Lower Winskill Farm

gave a talk in Long Preston Village Hall - "From trees to timber trusses"
 at which the results from the dendro-dating were presented.  

The Conclusions from the Dendro-dating are presented here,

together with an Audio recording of the talks.

A video has been loaded to Youtube which tells the story behind the dendro-dating in the Long Preston area,and the visits of by the children of Long Preston School to sites relating to this project.

Click here to see the video

Summary results of the dendro-dating project
have now been received and are shown here:

Re-Used timber has featured in Long Preston Heritage Group’s Heritage Lottery Fund project ( The monks, thebeams and the cow that jumped over the Moon) and in March and April 2013 tree-ring dating (dendro-dating) which was undertaken by Nottingham Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory of two local barns which had a quantity of re-used cruck timber and monastic connections.

Preliminary results had shown that a cruck timber from a Bolton Priory barn in Long Preston was felled in 1527. This barn was heightened and widened in 1708 ( beam inscription). At Lower Winskill the timbers proved more complex with felling dates of c1500 anfd 1560 for cruck timber with non-cruck timber of 1664.

This important work gives the first local chronologies in the Dales for re-used cruck-timber.